Marking Scheme

For each of the 24 subjects, the paper covers a total of 65 questions of 100 marks. Each paper is divided into subsections and on the basis of it, marking scheme is defined. From a total of 100 marks, there will be 10 questions of 15 marks covering the entire General Aptitude section (Language and Analytical Skills).

General Aptitude-  (15 marks)

  • Five questions of two marks each and five questions of one mark each.
  • Engineering Mathematics will cover approximately 15% weightage out of 100 marks for the paper bearing codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, IN, ME, MN, MT, PE, PI, TF, and XE.

Engineering Mathematics- (15 marks)

  • Five questions of two marks each and five questions of one mark each.
  • The remaining 70% weightage of total marks is acquired by the subject of the paper.

Subject Knowledge- (70 marks)

  • 25 questions of two marks each and 20 questions of one mark each.
  • For the paper codes – AR, CY, EY, GG, MA, PH and XL, the General Aptitude will cover 15% out of 100 marks, and the other 85% of the total question paper will be covered by the subject of the paper.

Scorecard

  • Candidates can go online and download their respective subject’s scorecard after their exams from their respective zone’s websites (chosen as exam centres).
  • Only those candidates will be issued scorecards whose marks are equal to or above the qualifying marks of the SC/ST/PwD candidates in that paper.

 Calculation of GATE 2019 scores

  • The GATE exam is held in multiple sessions and candidates are tested for 100 marks in 65 questions of 24 papers.
  • Since the exam is considered tough for students, exam authorities have found a formula to neutralize the difficulty level of the papers. They have normalized GATE scores to 1000 marks using a specific formula to calculate these marks, and this process is called normalization. (Image to be inserted)