The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an online national exam, conducted jointly by seven Indian Institutes of Technology — IIT-Delhi, IIT-Kanpur, IIT-Rourkee, IIT-Guwahati, IIT-Kharagpur, IIT-Chennai and IIT-Mumbai — for admissions to post-graduate courses such as Masters in Engineering (M.E), Masters in Technology (M.Tech), and Ph.D.
Based on the GATE score, the following institutions offer the post-graduate courses: Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore, all 16 IITs across India, select National Institutes of Technology and government funded technical institutes, and several universities in India.
GATE tests in-depth knowledge of subjects studied at the UG level in Engineering and Science. There are 24 disciplines tested via online tests held every year. The exam is held in eight zones in the country: mainly under the zones Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore and seven IITs – Roorkee, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Chennai, and Mumbai. While filling up the application form, a candidate has to choose three exam centres. Two must be from the same zone while the third one could belong to any zone.
In recent times, several Indian public sector undertakings have also begun to use GATE scores for recruiting graduate engineers in entry-level positions. It is one of the most competitive examinations in India. GATE is also recognized by various institutes outside India, such as Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
Foreign candidates can write the exam in Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and United Arab Emirates (UAE). GATE opens new avenues for engineers who want to work in Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and government jobs. Scores are valid for three years from the date of the result declaration.
- The candidate should have passed B.E. (four years after 10+2 or three years after a diploma in Engineering/Technology).
- The candidate should have passed the five-year degree in B.Arch or must be currently pursuing the final year in B.Arch
- The candidate should have passed B.Sc (Post-Diploma/ 4-years after 10+2) or currently appearing (4th year) of degree
- The candidate should have passed M.E. in Sc/Maths/Statistics/Computer Applications
- The candidate should have passed a four-year Integrated Master’s degree programme(s) in Engg/Tech or are appearing in the 2nd/3rd/4th year
- The candidate should have passed a five-year Integrated Master’s degree programme/Dual Degree programme in Engg/Tech or currently appearing in the fourth or fifth year.
- The candidate should have passed an Integrated M.Sc. programme/a five-year Integrated B.S-M.S. programme/currently appearing in the final year of the above.
- The candidate should have passed a B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch. or equivalent exam of professional societies recognized by the MHRD/UPSC/AICTE
- International candidates should have completed a Bachelors degree in Engineering or a Masters degree in any relevant subject in Science.
- There is no age limit to sit for the GATE entrance exam.
- There is no restriction on the number of attempts to write this exam.
GATE Eligibility Certificate
• A final year mark sheet/certificate from the Head of Department/Institute.
• Document should be a scanned copy of the degree or provisional certificate in PDF format. Size must not exceed 300 KB while uploading the document while filling the GATE Application Form.
• In the absence of the degree/provisional certificate from the university/institute, a certificate signed by the Principal of the student’s college can be uploaded online. Minimum size of the eligibility certificate (image/file) is 10 KB.
Documents for Reserved Category
Candidates will require following certificates for each category for the GATE exam:
• SC/ ST certificate (OBC certificate only mandatory for admissions)
• People with Disability (PwD) certificate
Scores are valid for three years from the date of result announcement.