Mechanical engineering is a broad discipline that applies the principles of engineering to the design, working, manufacturing and maintaining of machines and their parts. Mechanical engineering plays a central role in such industries as automotive, aerospace, biotechnology, computers and electronics, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), energy conversion, environmental control, automation (robots, data and image acquisition, recognition, control). It touches virtually every aspect of modern life, from mobile phones and biomedical devices to aircraft and power plants.
Aptitude required to opt for mechanical engineering
Students wishing to pursue mechanical engineering should have a thorough knowledge of fundamentals of physics and mathematics, especially kinematics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and the behaviour of solids. They should be interested in the design, development, installation, operation, and maintenance of machinery. They should have strong spatial awareness, sound observational skills with close attention to detail. An analytical mindset, and problem-solving skills are vital for an aspiring mechanical engineer.
What can you do after mechanical engineering?
- Project Engineer: A project engineer prepares, schedules, coordinates and monitors assigned engineering projects. Professionals serving in this position need to keep a regular check on the progress of the project as well as look into the concealed problems.
- Development Engineer: Development engineers are responsible for designing, creating and testing new products for companies. They oversee research and design teams, lead testing procedures and draft specifications for manufacturing.
- Manufacturing Engineer: A manufacturing engineer focuses on the design and operation of integrated systems for the production of high-quality, economically competitive products. On the whole, the person in this position analyses the quality and safety of the product manufacturing unit.
- Facility Manager: Facility managers are accountable for services such as cleaning, security, and parking, to make sure the surrounding environment is in a suitable condition to work. Their responsibilities also include overseeing contracts and providers for services including security, parking, cleaning, catering, technology, etc.
- Construction Manager: The role of a construction manager is to determine labour requirements and dispatch workers to construction sites. They are also responsible for inspecting and reviewing projects to monitor compliance with building and safety codes and other regulations.
What are some of the firms that hire mechanical engineers?
- N.A.S.A (National Aeronautics and Space Administration)
- TATA Group
- Godrej Group
- L&T (Larsen and Toubro)
- Crompton Greaves
- Aditya Birla Group
- Lockheed Martin
- Ford Motors
- Space X
- John Deere